Sunday, January 29, 2017

Circa Survive - On Letting Go


January 29th, 2017
Circa Survive - On Letting Go

Circa Survive is one of my favorite bands for many different reasons. I remember jamming out to Pandora back in my punk skater days and a song from Juturna came on. It was the first time I had heard Circa and I fell in love. I am choosing to review On Letting Go, because they are currently on tour where they will play it in its entirety. I love this album, the artwork, the songs, and the production it's all perfect. I would sit in study hall when I was in high school and just listen to this album on my iPod. The ambient guitar and Anthony's voice would just soothe me. That's one thing I've always loved about Circa is the spacey floaty ambient sound of their instruments. This album starts off so strong. with Living Together, In The Morning And Amazing, and The Greatest Lie. The song In The Morning And Amazing there is a line "I can not sleep without the radio on and how could anyone." That lyric right there always related to me. I can't sleep without music now I don't know if that's what Anthony meant or not, but it was what stood out to me the most. The next three songs are The Difference Between Medicine and Poison Is The Dose, Mandala, and Travel Hymn. The Difference being their most popular song off the album I remember watching the music video for that song on Fuse TV when I was younger. Mandala is in my opinion one of the strongest songs on this album when it comes to instruments. The drums in the song are impeccable. Travel Hymn comes in as one of the strongest songs lyrically in my opinion and its the song right after Mandala. Next comes two of my favorite songs on the album. Semi Constructive Criticism, and Kicking Your Crosses Down. Semi is a vocal powerhouse Anthony just unleashes it all out. I show that song to anyone I am trying to get to like the band. Kicking is the complete opposite of Semi I think. It is a slow melodic song that just puts you in a trance almost. On Letting go is the song up next. The title track its status quo when it comes to what this album is. It continues the sound of the ambient space feeling. It's simple when it comes to instruments, but the lyrics is how it makes its impression. The last three songs are a different feel. These songs sound like the belong on some of their newer albums. Carry Us Away and Close Your Eyes To See sounds like it should be off their album Blue Sky Noise based on the instruments and flow of the song. Your Friends Are Gone is a great song for it to end on. It has a very strange intro, but once you get through that the song comes out and practically hits you in the face. The song changes so much in the course of the time it commands. This song has it all, the instrumentals, the lyrics, the vocal melody, and the future sound. It really wraps the album up nicely. I recommend everyone goes out and listens to this album! I give this album 🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈 out of five! Extravagant!

Favorite Tracks!
  1. Your Friends Are Gone
  2. Semi Constructive Criticism
  3.  In The Morning And Amazing

I do not own any of the pictures or songs associated with this review. All rights belong to Circa Survive, and Equal Vision Records.



No comments:

Post a Comment