Sunday, January 15, 2017

City and Colour - Little Hell


January 15, 2017
City and Colour - Little Hell

I figured it was time to do this review. Like the Coheed and Cambria one I was waiting to do this one till the time was right. City and Colour are close to being my favorite music group. Nobody beats Coheed, but this band is very high up on my list. This album was the first full album from City and Colour I ever purchased. Although the very first songs I heard from City and Colour were "Love Don't live Here Anymore" and "What Makes a Man" from the Myspace Transmission album. My friend from high school showed me those two songs one day and I instantly fell in love with this band. I knew of Dallas Green just from me liking Alexisonfire which was a band Dallas played guitar and provided backup vocals for. I didn't know he had his own solo stuff until my friend showed me. I jumped right into all of his solo music. Finding the gem that is Sometimes; his first album he released. Dallas has a way to just hit you right in the feels. He writes about some of the most emotionally shattering things while delivering them with a soothing guitar and melodic voice. In my opinion Dallas is the modern day Bob Dylan with a better voice a way better voice.... Dallas tends to have a folky feel to him which plays right down my alley. Dallas' guitar work in theory is simple, but try to play his songs and you'll find that it can sometimes get the best of you. Dallas incorporates many weird strum patterns and embellishments in his guitar work. Not only will you find it difficult to play his songs on guitar you will also find it difficult to sing his songs. Dallas has a deceptively vast range when it comes to his voice. He can easily switch to a high stressed voice to a low rumble. Little Hell showcases a lot of his skill and talents. Little Hell is more a "full band" project meaning he has more drums and bass. In most of his previous albums and songs it was mainly him and just an acoustic guitar. I personally prefer the stripped down versions, but it all is so great regardless. In Little Hell Dallas sings about stuff almost any person can relate to. He wrote a song called "O' Sister" which was a song about his sisters anxiety disorder. He also wrote a song called "Grand Optimist" which was a song about his parents. Of course there are a few songs about his wife on there as well. A lot of his songs have concrete meanings, but are made in a way you can fit them to your own life and let them mean whatever you want to relate them to. Which is why I believe this album is so great. You can fit them to whatever you need them to fit to. I will without a doubt do more City and Colour album reviews, because you know he is one of my favorites. So stay in tune with that! I give this album 🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦 out of five! Extravagant!

Favorite Tracks!
  1. Silver and Gold
  2. Northern Wind
  3. Natural Disasters 
I do not own any of the pictures or songs associated with this review. All rights belong to City and Colour and Dine Alone Records



No comments:

Post a Comment