Wednesday, April 5, 2017

When Thieves Are About - Senescence


March 5, 2017
When Thieves Are About - Senescence 

I have come to know this band a decent amount, and every time I talk to them they are some of the most outstanding dudes ever. Their great music is just a bonus. I reviewed some of their other work (Challenger)  here on the blog and now I am reviewing this one. There are some things that the two pieces of work have in common that are great and there are some things the two pieces of work that don't share. I'll start with the shared. First off I love the the art work for both of these covers. The crayon/colored pencil look really sparks my interest. I love the simplistic yet intriguing concept to it. Other than the art work some of the music shares qualities. This CD still has that against the world angst you want from your punk bands. The sound that I personally love and admire. You still feel the overflow of energy and pure passion, but what this CD has the the other one did not (and its not a bad thing) is a new feel. The new feel isn't anything negative if anything it is positive. The new feel that I get from this album is a feel of maturity. Maturity as in they seemed to have honed in on their sound and skills. It makes the smoothness of the album that much better. Another thing I get from this album is in some songs I feel a prog rock feel a little bit. Some off cool time signatures that make the layers of the song different in every way. It really adds another feel to the album. One of the tracks that has a complex prog sound is the opening track "Wasting All Our Time" towards the end of that song it has a feel of a nice 2002 era prog band. It reminds you (or me anyway) of a nice punch and run sound of Coheed and Cambria and we all know in how high regards I hold Coheed. Although this band is not Coheed and don't try to be and they don't need to try to be. WTAA are great all on their own they don't need to and haven't mimicked any other sounds. They are their own sound. Which is another reason I love them so much. In a genre that can sometimes go stale they seem to keep pushing out riveting and exciting songs and albums. This album is another short one which like Challenger makes it super easy to listen to. I mean I have listened to it twice since I started this very blog post. I love that. I love when an album is smooth and makes it super easy to listen to every song start to finish. You don't get that in many bands or albums anymore. Normally I also don't tend to like every song on an album, but I do enjoy every song on this album and it will certainly make it harder to pick favorite tracks. Regardless I loved talking to these guys and reviewing their stuff. I look forward to reviewing many more in the future. Until then get out and check this album out! I give this album 👽👽👽👽👽 out of five! Extravagant!

Favorite Tracks!
  1. Hangin' With Michael Keaton
  2. Wasting All Our Time
  3. 30 Stones

I do not own any of the pictures or songs associated with this review. All rights belong to When Thieves Are About






Also Check them out on Twitter!
@wtaanjpoppunk



No comments:

Post a Comment