Monday, April 17, 2017

These Fine Gentlemen - Show review and interview



April 17, 2017
These Fine Gentlemen - Show review and interview


One day I checked my notifications on the blog's Twitter page and a band from southern Indiana had followed me. That band was These Fine Gentlemen; I reached out to the band and found out ways to listen to their music. The band had a EP called "Sweeter Times" and a new single titled "Sorry" on Spotify and iTunes that I could listen to. I took a few days and listened to all their music that they had uploaded and reached out to them again. Since they are from Indiana and so am I, I saw the perfect chance to go watch them play and get to know them. I asked the band when their next concert was and if they would be interested in meeting me after the show to chat for a bit. They were having a show on April 15th at The Seasons Lodge in Nashville Indiana. Nashville being just two hours away from me I was excited to go and check them out. I got there and it was a small crowd, but I didn't let that affect the feel of the show and neither did the band. I introduced myself to the band and talked with them for a few minutes before they started to play. One of the first things I noticed (and was impressed with) was how clear everything sounded. Many bands local or worldwide can often fall victim to bad sound that doesn't portray how the band actually sounds. TFG on the other hand had fantastic sound. Mason Lauster (bass/vocals) is also their sound guy. What a fantastic job he did; everything sounded crisp and clean. Another thing I noticed was how even everything was in the band. The band has AJ Stainbrook and Corey Sitterding which are dueling guitar players that go back and forth with fantastic skill and sound. Mason Lauster the bass player and vocalist has a nice mid ranged clean voice. His bass playing has great sound and very defined technical skill that works great with Quinten Tritle on the drums. Quinten is a fantastic drummer. I watched him for a good deal of the show and the sound and punctuation that Quinten possesses is impeccable. Zach Thompson on keys and vocals is such a nice touch. His voice is fantastic it has a nice deep sound, but yet has a nice rounded polished sound. His voice really works well with the lead singer Zack Killey. Zack has a fantastic voice as well his voice has a different sound to it. He has fantastic range and a nice soulful sound to it that just mixes well with the other singers. That's what I mean by "even" all the members compliment each other so well. Which is so shocking to me since the band has only been playing music together for two years. For such a short time being together they sound like they have been playing together for decades. I think that shows you how impressive of musicians they are individually.  The band played a handful of cover songs at the show which were all fantastic! Some of the most notable ones were their rendition of "Royals" by Lorde. I despise all radio music, but this rendition of this song was incredible! They worked it so well around how they sound that if I had never heard the song before I would've thought it was an original song of theirs! They also did a cover of "In One Ear" by Cage The Elephant which I would venture to say is better than the original. The most memorable of the cover songs was their rendition/reworking of two songs. They played a song that combined "War Pigs" by Black Sabbath and "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin the mix of the songs was so impressive. Even though they played these astonishing cover songs that doesn't take away from their original songs that they played. The played a new song they just released called "One Horse Town" and their song "Sorry" and both were out of this world. They just released "One Horse Town" Sunday April 16th so I had never heard the studio recording. One thing I noticed from their recorded originals and their new songs is the change of sound. They played a few songs off their EP as well at this show and they are different sounding than their newer songs. The new sounds features a more "deeper" sound a more prog/alt rock sound than their older stuff. It is a good direction for them in my personal opinion. I love their older stuff too, but the new songs boast a more refined and mature sound. That leads me into my next topic. Talking to the guys they are currently recording new songs for release the two new ones they played at the show and couple more in the works. They hope to release a new EP soon and maybe a full length album in a year or so. Since they are working on new material I asked the two Zack/Zach on the writing process. Killey does the majority of the lyrical writing in the band and said he has written music both ways; lyrics first then music and music first then lyrics. He said that "when you start with music first it's easier to get a flow for what the song should sound like." Well whatever process they use I think it works. Killey also talked about what he writes about. That songs can't be fabricated from a false feeling, they need to be about something. You can certainly feel and hear the emotion and connection in their songs. When I asked the guys if they planned on touring bigger than they are currently doing they said of course they do, but they want to get another EP or full length album out first so that people can hear and experience the new sound they have first. Regardless of what they do in the future I can guarantee you that they will have success. Ultimately to me it looked like a big band of brothers doing what they love with the people they love. They all were smiling and having fun and that's the real reason why music should be made. This won't be the last you hear of the band I promise you that, and it won't be the last time I talk to them. I was completely amazed by the show and how great of guy's they are! Now let me review their two new singles! 


Let's start with the older single "Sorry." This single sports their newer sound and the more refined personality. The songs lyrics are plenty catchy without being cliche and the layering of sounds again is out of this world. 


Next is "One Horse Town" this song even goes further into their new sound I believe. I think it plays more into their more alt/prog sound than their previous songs. It holds more of a genre appropriate sound that I think suits them very well. 


Regardless I am more than excited to hear more from them in the future and I can't wait to work with them again!

Check them out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Spotify, and Youtube!

I will include all the links for you guy's to get connected to them and their music!

Extravagant!

Instagram: @thesefgentlemen
Spotify: These Fine Gentlemen

Singles:

                               www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AWd51i3pHM


A few older songs:



No comments:

Post a Comment