Friday, April 21, 2017

Mastodon - Emperor Of Sand


April 21. 2017
Mastodon - Emperor Of Sand

I wasn't going to do another blog this week. I really was going to let the one I did on These Fine Gentlemen take the spotlight, but I just wanted to write about this album. I've been listening to Mastodon for years and they are certainly one of my favorite bands of all time. The thing I think I love the most about Mastodon isn't their grimy, punchy guitar or their fantastic ability to have three members play instruments and sing. It's their evolution; from CD one to now you would be blown away. Don't get me wrong I loved old Mastodon as well, but they have just upped their level by a tremendous amount. This album is the peak of their sound at the moment. I believe this album is their best so far. Every song on this album is prog metal gold! You couldn't ask for a better first couple of songs with Sultans Curse, Show Yourself, Precious Stones, and Steambreather. The following songs on the album really continue the feel of the the story of the album. A figure of power in the desert and a castaway. For some reason I feel like the sound of the album really gives you the feel of the story. Maybe it's because I already know what they were trying to tell, but I think people would get the same vibe as me. I feel like in this album they really explored the different vocalist in the band. They really gave everyone their own platform and chance to show their own flavor. No matter how new and evolved Mastodon may become they still stick to what they are and what they are good at. There is always at least one of those long real cerebral songs. On this album it is Jaguar God. In my opinion this is the best album Mastodon has released and everyone should go listen to this one! I give this album 😈😈😈😈😈 out of five! Extravagant!


Favorite Tracks!
  1. Show Yourself
  2. Steambreather
  3. Jaguar God

I do not own any of the pictures or songs associated with this review. All rights belong to Mastodon and Reprise Records.





No comments:

Post a Comment