Wednesday, February 8, 2017

When Thieves Are About - Challenger


February 8, 2017
When Thieves Are About - Challenger

I just found these guys yesterday and talked to them for a little bit. They followed the Twitter account for the blog and I followed them back. I told them I would love to do a blog on some of their music and they were more than happy to let me do it! So here I am! I have done a lot of these blogs now and the thing I am starting to really love about them is when I cover "Local" artists. Like with Patrick, The Hollow, and now these guys. Those are all musicians that aren't super famous or huge and I have held conversations with them all. It's nice when you actually talk to a band or musician it makes you way more anxious to feature them so you can help grow them. With that said any body that follows me on the blog's Twitter account I will follow back and if you are a band or musician I will always give you a listen to. Well on to the actual review. This is the first time I heard any music from these guys so I didn't really know what to expect. I was surprised with what I got. Their music almost put me in a time machine. It took me back to the days when I was a teenager and listening to bands in this punk/rock music. I fell in love with this EP/Demo that they did. It has all the good elements of that genre of music. It's fast, it's punky, it's in your face, and its out there. I love the prominent bass tones in this album. A lot of bands don't let the bass stand out, but you can hear it in this album no problems. This album starts off in the best way. You have a short intro song that is just instrumentals that leads into the next song and matches right up and it just takes off. The second song Turning Pages is melodically sound and tight song that gives you that vintage punk feel, It has the contrast between the aggressive vocals and the softer vocals. It has the pounding drums and the frantic guitars. The third song Mezzaluna follows up the second song with the same qualities you would want in a punk song. It's more on the fast upbeat aggressive sounding side though which I personally enjoy more. The drums in this song are so in your face I'm surprised Josh's arms don't fall off after playing this song. The title track Challenger is next. It is a nice change of pace. This song is different than what we have heard so far it starts with a nice strum of an acoustic guitar. This song provides a more up close and personal feel to it. I do have to say even though it's a more stripped down song the bass is killer in this song. The runs Ryan the bassist  goes on are catchy and hook you in. The vocal melody is fast paced and catchy as well. The next song The Reason For The Wreckage is a nice in between song. It has a nice echo feel to it when it comes to the vocals. One part is sung then the whole band sings a part. It almost sounds like a whole crowd is singing vocals with them too. The vocal performance is what makes the song as good as it is. Like Tidal Waves is the last song on the album and one of the best in my opinion and again it has one of the nicest bass "solos." This song is a more calm and less all over the place song. Not that the all over the place is a negative thing at all, because it isn't. The all over the place is what makes this genre what it is and I love it! This song is just more of a mellow one than the rest were. I don't like to "compare" bands to other bands very often, because every band is their own band. They have their own sound. However I get a good feel of NOFX, Senses Fail, and The Fall Of Troy when I listen to theses guys. Those were all the bands I listened to back in the day and still love to this day. They did a great job with this album and when they finish their new album I will be looking forward to listening to it as well! I give this album 🌆🌆🌆🌆 out of five! Extravagant!

Favorite Tracks!
  1. Mezzaluna
  2. Like Tidal Waves
  3. Challenger 

I do not own any of the pictures or songs associated with this review. All rights belong to When Thieves Are About.


Also Check them out on Twitter!
@wtaanjpoppunk

Also check the blogs Twitter! For any recommendations or anything else!
@tysmusicextrava

No comments:

Post a Comment