Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Paul Cauthen - My Gospel


February 15, 2017
Paul Cauthen - My Gospel

Paul Cauthen's My Gospel is one of the best albums I have heard. Not only is it one of the best albums I've heard recently, it's also one of the best albums I've heard ever! Paul really kills it on this album. From his fantastic song structure, to his great deep low classic voice. You will quickly fall in love I promise. I had never heard anything of Paul's before this album and boy let me tell you he made quite an entrance in my musical life. This album takes deep americana and country influences and he puts his own spin on it. The album starts with some of the best songs on the album "Still Drivin", "I'll Be The One", and "As Young As You'll Ever Be." Still Drivin starts out as a great "meat and potatoes" type of folk song. Nice twangy guitar that builds into a crescendo full of emotion and great builds. I'll Be The One is the most popular off the album it pulls you in with a nice slim guitar riff that leads to great lyrics and chorus. As Young As You'll Ever Be was the first song I had ever heard. It has a nice finger picking style guitar. It honestly is one of the best songs to try to get people to like him! The next two songs "Grand Central" and "Saddle" are nice songs, but aren't anywhere near as good as the first three. Grand Central has more of a country feel with a slow start and steel guitar. Saddle is a fun outlaw styled song. The next song is "Once Your Gone" this song is great lyrically written. It's every bit of deep while still being catchy and fun. "Marfa Lights" is the following song. This is the only song on the album I don't like. I don't know what Marfa Lights are or what the lyrics really are. I don't like the beat of the song the most. With all that said. It's not like I hate the song. I just like it the least. "Be There Soon" is a nice slow jam that really showcases Paul's voice. It has layer after layer of melodies and sound. He isolates his voice pretty well in this number. Ditching the guitar and adding the choir is a nice touch that adds to the complexity of this song. The next two songs are personally some of my favorites on the album. "Hanging Out On The Line" and "Let It Burn". Hanging Out On The Line continues the feel of the album. It is a song that will make you bob your head to a particular beat. It also has that choir feel and gospel trend. "Let It Burn is my favorite track on the whole album. The plucking guitar and the lyrics are superb. The best part of the song is with around one minute till the end. Paul unleashes his voice and it's magical. "My Gospel" is the last song on the album as well as the title track. It is a building song and almost sounds like a liberation of sorts, Like he finally conquers something and is proud of telling his story. It is a perfect cap to a very perfect record. I really recommend you listen to this album regardless what genre you like. I give this album 📻📻📻📻📻 out of five! Extravagant!

Favorite Tracks!
  1. Let It Burn
  2. As Young As You'll Ever Be
  3. Hanging Out On The Line


I do not own any of the pictures or songs associated with this review. All rights belong to Paul Cauthen, and Lightning Rod Records.




No comments:

Post a Comment