Sunday, June 4, 2017

The Lowest Pair - Fern Girl & Ice Man


June 14, 2017
The Lowest Pair - Fern Girl & Ice Man 

Before I really start this blog I want to describe or explain a few things. I am very picky when it comes to music. Yes I love a lot of music; all kinds of genres and styles. I love it all. One thing I am particular with is female vocalists. It's not a sexist thing or a misogyny thing I just tend to like the sound of male vocals more. That being said there are a handful of female vocalist I absolutely love in music. Soooooo when there are many many many female vocalists in my favorite genre of music(folk/americana) then I am even more picky. So you might be asking yourself  "why does this matter and why am I talking about it?" Well because The Lowest Pair is a folk/bluegrass/americana duo from Washington that features Kendl Winter and Palmer T. Lee. One female and one male. This is the only album I have heard from them since I just now found them tonight, but I really like what I am hearing. Kendl  has a very nice voice. I mean very nice. She may very well be my favorite female vocalist now. I dunno it's such a close battle between her and Yukimi Nagano(Little Dragon) but that's neither here nor there. Kendl has a very unique voice some may say it sucks, but they don't see the beauty in it. It's a very smooth and high pitched yodel sounding voice. It is normally backed and complimented with Lee's voice which is a deep mid croak that accompanies Kendl's so well. The instruments in this group are also phenomenal both wielding banjos every song has a nice pick and pluck sound that you can't help but love. The lyrics are well written and executed flawlessly with their music matching and supporting their sound. "The River Will" was the first song I heard from them and it in my opinion is a great introduction song. It has a nice mix of everything. Lee sings a lot on this song and so does Kendl. The pace of the song is faster and more upbeat. "Stranger" is a few songs later that has a fantastic sound, but is a little more specific. It starts with a nice harmonica tune that fades out as the guitar and vocals fade in. "When They Dance The Mountains Shake" is probably my favorite off the album its a nice little head bobbing diddy. A nice banjo groove mixed with the pocket delivery of Kndl's vocals with a nice walking bass in the background working with pitter patter of the drums. "Trick Candlelight" is a slow song that to me is a showcase of Kendl's voice. It's mainly her so you can really get to know her voice. The last song on the album "How can I roll?) is a nice slow instrumental start that quickly makes way for Kendl's voice. The lyrics match the tune of the instruments and the feel of the song. Regardless I think everyone should check out these guys and give them a shot! I know I am going to be listening to more of them soon! I give this album 🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄 out of five! Extravagant!


Favorite Tracks!
  1. When They Dance The Mountains Shake
  2. Stranger
  3. Trick Candlelight

I do not own any of the pictures or songs associated with this review. All rights belong to The Lowest Pair, and Team Love Records.




No comments:

Post a Comment