Saturday, July 15, 2017

Brent Cobb - Shine On Rainy Day


Brent Cobb - Shine On Rainy Day
July 15, 2017


Introducing one of my favorite and best up and comer (in my opinion) Brent Cobb! Brent is no stranger when it comes to writing music. He has written songs for acts like Luke Bryan and others. Although I will never associate him with those bogus acts. The music he has made on his own way out do all the music he has written for other people. Brent has a great sound. One that country fans and folk/americana fans can all appreciate. He has that nice homey sound mixed with very clever songwriting. Not to mention he is sneakily great at guitar. Brent has recorded two albums (although his first is hard to find) "No Place To Leave" and "Shine On Rainy Day" I have not heard any of his "first" album, but if it is anything like this album I know it's great. This album is another one of those rare albums that every song on it is amazing. "Solving Problems" and "South Of Atlanta" start the album off. Two great songs that really give you that "blue collar" feel. The songwriting on those two songs especially are the highlight of the songs. "Diggin' Holes" is probably his most catchy song lyric wise anyway. all of it mixes very well, but the lyrics really drive it home. The way he describes what he is singing about in a way that flows right through your ears is amazing. "Country Bound" and "Travelling Poor Boy" are two of my favorites on the album. Cobb said on a NPR session (Brent Cobb NPR) that "Country Bound" was one of the first songs he had seen being written, but didn't write it himself. Members of his family did and he decided to add it into this album. The last three songs on the album. "Let The Rain Come Down" "Down In The Gulley" and "Black Crow" are easily my favorite three songs on the album. "Let The Rain Come Down" this song..... just listen to it for yourself. I'm not going to tell you anything about it. You just need to experience it yourself. "Down In The Gulley" was also on that NPR session and was the song that really got me to appreciate Brent. The sound of the whole song and the story behind it makes it such an extravagant song to listen to. Brent also describes the story of that song on the NPR session that I linked earlier in the blog. "Black Crow" is the last song on the album. The most instrumentally complex in my opinion and so infectious. The riffs in the whole song mixed with Brent's voice knock it out of the park. I recommend anyone that likes country or even folk/americana (which is what I would classify him as) listen to this album. You won't regret it! I give this album 🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸 out of five! Extravagant!


Favorite Tracks!
  1. Let The Rain Come Down
  2. Black Crow
  3. Down In The Gulley


I do not own any of the pictures or songs associated with this review. All rights belong to Brent Cobb, Elektra Records, and Low Country Sound Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment